No one wants to hear the words, “You need a root canal.” But keep in mind that the root canal procedure is a far better fate than a lost tooth. With today’s advanced root canal technology, the treatment is easier than ever before.
At the West San Jose Dentist Dr. Guyton’s Practice, we’re dedicated to providing excellent endodontic care while maintaining high levels of personal service. What that means for you is that we will walk you through every step of the process, keep you informed, and make sure you are comfortable and relaxed during your time in our chair.
To Save the Tooth
The Root Canals of each tooth house nerve tissue and dental pulp, which contain blood vessels that provide nourishment. When this tissue becomes infected, a tooth may be in danger of dying. Without a root canal, patients may experience severe swelling, bone loss, inflammation, toothache, darkening of the tooth, gum soreness, and drainage problems.
A Root Canals procedure is usually recommended after other dental treatment options have been considered. It is a treatment that is used to save a tooth from extraction, an absolute last-resort option at our practice. They are also used in cases where a tooth infection is simply too invasive to control.
Steps of a Root Canal
- West San Jose Dental Care offers state-of-the-art endodontic treatment to West San Jose Dental Patients who need a solution to severe tooth damage right away.
- After a thorough evaluation and X-ray , we can begin the root canal procedure. The first step in a root canal is to numb the area of the mouth being treated with local anesthesia.
- A rubber dam is placed over the tooth to isolate the treatment area.
- Next, Dr. Guyton will drill a small hole in the wall of the tooth.
- The tissue inside the tooth root, the nerve and pulp, are gently extracted using root canal files.
- The canals are then cleaned well, flushed with a special sterilizing solution, and sealed off.
- Next, the empty root canal is filled with a rubber compound called gutta percha.
- Once the Root Canal procedure is complete we will recommend the best restorative option for you.
- There are complex cases where Dr. Guyton where feels that the patient will be better cared for an endodontic specialist. In those cases we refer you to a local specialist that we partner with and that we trust. Upon completion you will return to Dr. Guyton to complete your permanent restoration.
If you are searching for a comprehensive dental team that can take care of all your dental needs, please contact West San Jose Dentist Dr. Miles Guyton. Our root canal services are performed with a high level of quality and attention to detail. Trust the dental center that truly cares about creating beautiful, healthy smiles for life.